The FiberOptoMeter III is the latest system developed and produced by NPI Electronic to perform fiber photometry.
What is Fiber Photometry?
Fiber photometry is a popular method to detect neuronal activity in freely behaving animals. The optical fiber implanted in the brain allows both illumination of your neuronal population of interest and transmission of the emitted fluorescence. This powerful technique combines activation of optogenetic actuators or excitation of genetically encoded calcium indicators (GECIs) and detection of the fluorescence induced by calcium-activity during the light stimulation.
What experimental protocol can I perform with the FiberOptoMeter III for Fiber Photometry?
This ”optical multimeter” for probing brain circuits allows you:
- optogenetic stimulation
- and fluorescence excitation and measurement
- via the same optical fiber
If you are interested in performing cellular resolution imaging instead of overall fluorescence collection, the OASIS Implant by Mightex Systems enables imaging and targeted optical stimulation at any depth in freely moving animals.
Please contact us for more information on compatible light stimulating devices for an all-inclusive economical optogenetics system.
The versatile and innovative FiberOptoMeter has the following great features:
- Dual-band excitation:
- 450 – 490 nm (OGB1, GCamP, ChR2)
- 550 – 590 nm (ArchT)
- Fluorescence recording in 500 – 540 nm band
- Short pulses at high power (optogenetics)
- Constant low power illumination (fluorescence)
- Ultrafast photodetector:
- High robustness against high-dose irradiation detecting fluorescence signal immediately after optogenetic stimulation and with high intensity
- Can also be used as supplemental photodetector channel for multiphoton microscopy
- Compatible with multiple and multi-mode SMA fibers, including non-magnetic fibers for fMRI
- Optional output signal filter to improve signal-to-noise ratio
Please get in touch if you need more information on how this FiberOptoMeter will benefit your experiment.
The following options are available when ordering the FiberOptoMeter:
Available central wavelengths (LED):
450 nm, 470 nm, 570 nm, 617 nm, 625 nm
450 – 490 nm (blue)
540 – 590 nm (orange)
Max. light power at 200 µm fiber tip (determined with module):
110 mW/mm2 (blue)
65 mW/mm2 (orange)
SMA or FC/PC
Fluorescence detection band:
500 – 540 nm (green)
Fluorescence signal output filter:
340 Hz low-pass
Fluorescence signal output range:
0 ~ -3 V (negative polarity)
Module: Requires 2 module slots of EPMS-07 chassis
Desktop: (W x D x H) 365 mm x 260 mm x 130 mm
Please specify which wavelength you require in your quote request.
The FiberOptoMeter is the ideal system for the following applications:
- Localized measurement of physiological fluorescence signals (e.g. Ca2+ signals) from multiple sites in stimulation of physiological signals in disease model animals and drug testing freely behaving animals including primates
- Multi-color optogenetic stimulation
- Near simultaneous optical measurement of cellular activity and stimulation
- Chronic monitoring of physiological signals in disease model animals and drug testing
- Combined fluorescence recording with fMRI imaging
- Enhanced localized photodetection for deep-tissue multiphoton imaging
If you are exploring any new research paradigms and would like to know more about how your project could benefit from the FiberOptoMeter, please get in touch.
Thomas Grund, Yan Tang, Diego Benusiglio, Ferdinand Althammer, Sophia Probst, Lena Oppenländer, Inga D.Neumann, Valery Grinevich
Psychoneuroendocrinology, Volume 106, 2019, Pages 77-84, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psyneuen.2019.03.019
FiberOptoMeter III for Fiber Photometry
The FiberOptoMeter III for Fiber Photometry allows near simultaneous in vivo calcium fluorescence measurement and optogenetic stimulation through the same fiber.